Sunday, May 13, 2012

It's a Dirty Job




Things are hopping here at the ranch. The grass is growing, calves are being born, it's time for branding and lots of other dirty work.

The weather has been warm and I’ve been putting a lot of time into the garden. Along with the tomatoes, peas, squash and other veggies, I have started Calendulas,  and a few other herbs to use in soaping. I plan to start making some specialty soaps this year. Among them, needs to be a gardeners soap, as I am needing it pretty badly myself.
At any rate, it’s a great spring for making soap.


I was making a couple of logs of HoneyMoo to replenish what I had sold and my stick blender died just as I started mixing. There I was, in my mad scientist gear, everything combined in my ‘cauldron’ and holding a totally impotent stick blender. There was no turning back. I grabbed a whisk and began stirring. Just in case anyone is dying of curiosity, it takes about 2 1/2 hours of heavy stirring with a whisk to bring HoneyMoo soap to trace so you can pour it. This is an exciting undertaking when your wrists are already sore.
Into the freezer it went, to help keep it light, although there is nearly always some color where the honey heats up and causes a little gel. I rather like the look, myself.
A natural colored LilacMoo is off the racks and curing now, and as soon as the new emulsifier comes I’ll be jumping up to make soaps with summer scents and replenish my supply of the others. 
Thank you to all who participated in answering my poll questions and most especially to those who have purchased soap.
I still have a good supply of these soaps...


BlackRaspberryVanilla
Honeysuckle
ApricotLavender
KiwiLemongrass

MILK SOAPS:
ButtermilkAlmondMoo
BergaMoo

And restocking will commence with the arrival of the new stick blender!!!